Friday, February 25, 2011

2010: The Year of The HumDrum Flicks...kinda sorta...

2010: The Year of HumDrum Flicks...Kinda, Sorta...
Lackluster Lights, Cameras, & Action…

2010 was NOT a blockbuster year for movies but, there were a few goodies and “Honorable Mentions” that I would like to share with you. Hopefully, you will find my choices useful and an added delight to your list of must-sees on a cool winter’s night or “it-ain’t-shit-else-to-do” evening.

Here goes…

10. FLIPPED











A delightful coming-of-age tale created to tickle your sweet memories of love when it was cute and innocent. Quite refreshing and honest.

9. THE TOWN











I KNOW that I’ve seen this plot before either through Set It Off , Takers, or Heat but it was still a worthy effort by Afflect. Not as edgy as it could have been, but decent.

8. BURIED













Took me back to Cast Away with the “one-man-show” & a wicked twist. Interesting modern day thriller worth a peek-a-boo if you have PATIENCE.

7. SOCIAL NETWORK

















Didn’t think I would enjoy this but surprisingly, it was pretty good. I walked in thinking I would see some good old fashioned spying and espionage but only found a socially repressed genius that stumbled on a social gold mine. Now isn’t that IRONIC?


6. SCOTT PILGRIM vs. THE WORLD
















I LOVE Michael Cera. Nerdy swag RULES!

5. DEVIL










Great comeback by M. Night Shyamalan (thank God he didn’t direct this one!). Eerie at best, but definitely a message/story to be told. Good to see Bokeem back on the big screen. Just remember, there are no coincidences…

4. THE KING’S SPEECH

















Let me first admit that I am QUITE partial to British flicks AND Colin Firth AND Geoffrey Rush. With that said, I also add that this very well acted and noble portrayal of king George VI and his struggle with a stu-stu-STUTTER was DELIGHTFULLY RICH. Loved the warmth & honesty sprinkled with a few chuckle moments.

3. LET ME IN






It’s the Year of the Vampire…again! Dark, brooding, & disturbing. How easy it is to fall prey when you are being preyed upon. Innocence lost, dreams deferred… definitely worth checking out if you have a penchant for the raw and freakish.

2. WARRIOR’S WAY







This year’s SHOCKER! This movie was supposed to be a “filler” for me but I was absolutely captivated by Jang Dong-gun!!! When the Wild-Wild West meets Ninja Power, and very unlikely heroes, comedic mayhem and bloody action take place. KUDOS to director Sngmoo Lee for creating this refreshingly gorgeous piece!

FINALLY…(AND I KNOW I’M GOING TO RECEIVE A LOT OF FLIP-FLAP & MOUTHING OFF FOR THIS BUT… THIS IS MY SHOW! )

MY #1 MOVIE OF 2010 IS…


1. SPLICE








This movie was so twisted and bizarre that I couldn’t help but be captivated by its uniqueness. Taking a page from Species, SPLICE pushes the envelop! Great special effects and make-up, strong cast and performances, and just DAMNED WEIRD! I had several YUK moments and the ending bout took me out the game…but that’s what I live for in a movie! Definitely a breath of fresh SCI-FI air!


Although I have restricted my list to the Top 10, I do have a few “Honorable Mentions” that I felt I would be remiss in not mentioning (in no specific order)…

*
Lovely Bones
* For Colored Girls Who


*Going the Distance
*City Island
*Iron Man 2
*The Killer Inside Me

I hope you have enjoyed this VERY brief list and that you have the opportunity to check out some, if not all, of these flicks. I think you will enjoy EACH and EVERY ONE of them!

This is YOUR Roving Movie Reporter…Your chick checking out ALL the flicks! Toodles!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment